Well it is now 12:00 pm on Saturday and we've been in Okinawa less than 24 hours. It's hard to believe we're finally here after anticipating this day since June 15th when we found out we'd be moving here. The past few weeks have been quite a whirlwind - moving out of our apartment in Oklahoma, packing to move half way around the world, driving almost 3,000 miles and last but not least, getting married (for the second time)!
First let me say that I'm still glowing from the wedding and I get a huge smile on my face every time I think about it. It was better than I ever could have imagined and thank you to all of you who helped to make the day so special for us! The photography company told me it takes up to 4 weeks to get our photos online so I'll send out all of that information as soon as I find out. Trust me - I'm dying to see them just as much as you are! I didn't take one picture all weekend so thank you to all of you who have posted photos online. I will try to post some on this blog soon.
Our trip here went really smoothly and went by pretty fast considering it was so long. We got to the airport in Seattle at 5:30 am on Thursday, March 20th and arrived in Okinawa at 4:30 pm on Friday, March 21st (approximately 12:30 am Seattle time). So that means we flew into the future! Our sponsor met us at the airport and drove us straight to our hotel room. It's a good size room on base with a bedroom, living room, bathroom and kitchen with microwave, fridge, toaster and dishwasher. There is no stove, but that's ok because it means we get more per diem and hopefully we'll get a house pretty quickly.
We thought we should at least try to stay up until it got dark - lucky for us it gets dark pretty early here. We walked to the commissary to get a few groceries and stretch our legs after traveling for so long. Of course I loved the commissary. It's way bigger than the one in Altus (no surprise there) and the produce is awesome! I loved all of the Japanese products they have too and can't wait to start cooking.
Back at the hotel we watched some highlights from the basketball games that day (they have Air Forces Network that shows TV from the States) and were in bed by 8 pm. It had been a loooooong day and we were exhausted. I thought it was funny that as we were lying in bed to go to sleep we were watching The Today Show from earlier than morning - it was showing live and we were watching it in the future - sort of.
Well I told myself I would try to keep these blog entries shorter since lots of people complained how much I wrote in Peru so I better stop here before it gets too long.
Just for the record - I of course created the name of this blog - and Giff loves it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment